Visa InformationA visa is required for your visit to India. Please plan accordingly, and consult the information below for assistance with the visa process.
There are two application alternatives for acquiring an entry visa into India. Citizens of eligible countries may apply through the online e-Tourist Visa system. Citizens of other countries must complete the visa application online and deliver a printed copy of the application to the nearest Indian Mission/Post at a specified appointment time. For more information regarding these application procedures, you may read the information below. Please visit the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs Visa website (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/) and direct any questions to your nearest Indian Mission (http://www.mea.gov.in/indian-missions-abroad.htm).
Before beginning your application, please note that either application procedure will require you to upload a photograph. The photograph may be taken from a webcam, or may be a scanned copy. (For technical assistance, visit https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/VSS_IMAGE.pdf) The requirements for this photograph are as follows:
- Format – JPEG
- Size: Minimum 10 KB; Maximum 300 KB for regular visa application, 1 MB for e-Tourist Visa application
- The height and width of the Photo must be equal.
- Photo should present Full face, front view, eyes open.
- Center head within frame and present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin.
- Background should be plain light colored or white background.
- No shadows on the face or on the background.
- Without borders.
- Make sure that photo presents full head from top of hair to bottom of chin. Head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm). Make sure eye height is between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3.
IMPORTANT: Not all visitors will qualify for an e-tourist visa. Only visitors from the following countries may use the e-tourist visa system:
Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Island,Chile, China, China- SAR Hongkong, China- SAR Macau, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand,Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway, Oman, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Russia, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Turks & Caicos Island, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, USA, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam
e-Tourist Visa Application procedure:
- Complete the online application: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/info1.jsp The e-Tourist Visa application will require a scanned copy of the first page of your passport (format: JPEG, size: 10-300 KB)
- Pay visa fee online with credit or debit card
- Receive e-Tourist Visa via email
- Print e-Tourist Visa and carry with you at the time of travel
- International Travelers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.
- Passport should have at least six months validity from the date of arrival in India. The passport should have at least two blank pages for stamping by the Immigration Officer.
- International Travelers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket, with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.
- International Travelers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.
- Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.
- Not available to individuals endorsed on Parent’s/Spouse’s Passport i.e. each individual should have a separate passport.
- Not available to International Travel Document Holders.
Regular Visa Application
Regular Visa Application
Citizens who are not eligible for the e-Tourist Visa application must complete the regular visa application. If your nearest Indian Mission uses the online application system, the application form must be filled out on-line, as handwritten copies of the application form will not be accepted. Once you complete the form, you must print a hard copy and deliver it to your nearest Indian Mission at your scheduled appointment time.
Regular Visa Application procedure:
- Applicants shall access the Visa Application system online through the following link: http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
- Within the online application, select the Indian Mission from which you intend to apply for the Visa from the tab “Select Mission.”
- Fill in the application on-line.
- After filling the form and submitting it, the system will automatically generate an Application ID. Applicants are requested to keep this Application ID for further communications with the concerned Indian Mission.
- The system will automatically ask the Applicant for the following confirmation: “Select ‘Yes’ if you want to seek an appointment at the nearest Indian mission and make payment online, or ‘No’ if the you just want to print the submitted application form.”
- If you respond “yes,” then the system automatically takes opens a link to perform the following:
- Selection of Date and Time of appointment at the concerned Indian Mission
- Calculation of Visa fee, service charge, VAT etc. as applicable according to the Visa type
- Complete ePayment using service provider’s payment system
- If you respond “No”, then you must take the print out of the submitted online application form and approach the concerned Indian Mission for submission of the online form along with supporting documents.
- In case the facility of Appointment Scheduling and e-Payment is not available for the concerned Indian mission, then you must take the printout of the online application form and visit the concerned Indian Mission to submit the application with supporting documents and make the payment.
- If you would like to check the status of your application, you may visit the Visa Enquiry page: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/VisaEnquiry.jsp
- The Indian Mission requires a minimum of three business days to process and issue a visa, depending on the nationality. If you are receiving your visa by post, please plan accordingly.